There is no simpler and faster recipe than pea puree. In fact, you only need a few minutes, a few ingredients, and a blender.
It’s a perfect side dish for any protein dish, whether it’s meat, fish, or tofu. In addition to giving the dish a lively aspect, it acts as a garnish and accompanying sauce.
In the following lines, you will learn how to prepare it step by step and find out what benefits it can offer.
Pea puree: healthy and flavorful
Usually, we either love or hate peas, without half measures. On many occasions, the problem is the monotony of their preparation, since they are almost always boiled and presented as a side dish.
And although delicious, it is interesting to discover other recipes that enhance the flavor: stir-fried, minestrone, salads, or a soup for the colder days.
The pea ( Pisum sativum ) is a very ancient food and represents a very precious ingredient in traditional Mediterranean cuisine. They stand out for the contribution of fibers, vitamins C and K, and minerals such as iron, magnesium, and phosphorus. Besides that, they contain higher amounts of protein than those found in other fresh vegetables.
As confirmed by several studies, they are perfect for people at risk of anemia or who follow a low-iron diet. In addition, they also provide a good amount of selenium, folate, and antioxidants.
Experts study its potential benefits for cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, and some cancers, but also for digestive health.
In reality, however, it is a very interesting food to be introduced into the daily diet of anyone, even children. To prepare them differently, we present two recipes for a delicious puree of peas.
We tend to always prepare peas in the same way, but it is possible to enhance the flavor thanks to different preparations.
Ingredients for 4 servings of pea puree
- 500 grams of frozen peas
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 portion of cheese
- 500 milliliters of chicken broth
- The juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the peas in water for between 5 and 7 minutes. Once ready, drain and set aside. It is not recommended to cook them for too long, because in this case, they would lose their characteristic color.
- Meanwhile, peel and dice the onion and garlic into larger pieces. In a large-bottomed pan or saucepan, pour in the olive oil and sauté both ingredients.
- After 3 minutes, add the bay leaf and peas. Sauté everything together for a couple of minutes over medium heat, stirring. Then add the cheese too.
- Leave to rest for a few minutes over the heat, while the cheese is melting.
- Pour the contents into the blender glass or into a bowl. Add some chicken stock and blend. Then add a little more, until you get the desired consistency.
- To give a touch of different and fresher flavor, add a few sprigs of mint or parsley while blending everything. Plus, with a little bit of avocado, you can get a much creamier texture.
- To make a vegan version of this recipe, replace the cheese with some tofu or soy, or oat cream. Chicken broth can be replaced with vegetable broth.
- The result is a 100% vegetable dish, which will be appreciated by everyone, even by lactose-intolerant people and those allergic to milk proteins.
Alternative recipe for making pea puree
With the following quantities it is possible to prepare 4 portions of this preparation:
- 500 grams of fresh or frozen peas
- 1/2 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 pinch of cumin
- 500 milliliters of chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon of butter or extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon of condensed milk or coconut milk
- Boil the peas in a pot containing water and salt. If they are frozen, pour directly without defrosting. They are usually ready in 5 minutes. In any case, it is advisable to taste them, so that they can reach the optimal cooking point.
- Peel and cut the onion very finely and chop the garlic well. Melt the butter in a pan over low heat and cook the vegetables for about two minutes.
- When they start to become transparent, add the previously drained peas. Season with salt and pepper and cook for another two minutes.
- With the heat off, add the condensed milk or coconut milk. Stir a little to mix everything and let it rest for a few minutes.
- Now it’s time to blend. Pour all the ingredients into the blender glass and blend until you get the consistency of a puree. At this point, add the broth a little at a time until the desired consistency is obtained.
- After pouring everything into a bowl, add a few cubes of raw ham, croutons, a little grated cheese or some sesame seeds as decoration.