Radish is a seasonal vegetable. Everybody knows. Juicy, light, crunchy. How to store radishes? To enjoy the spring flavor in winter, there are several ways.
What varieties of radish can be stored until spring
Not all radish varieties are suitable for long-term storage. Spring at the beginning of a month will turn into rags, despite the efforts made. But autumn, late-ripening noticeably lies until February.
Advice. Choose from the varieties of bookmarks with large cone-shaped roots. Large round turnips are not suitable. Very often they are empty, what is the use?
Root vegetables can be stored in the cellar or basement. There, the most suitable temperature (+ 2-4 ° С) and the humidity of the air close to ideal (85-90%). In addition, there is almost always good ventilation, which is also a very special advantage: fewer putrid bacteria will fly.
Prerequisite: preliminary treatment of the premises with sulfur, then complete ventilation.
Advice. To increase the humidity, water is sprayed from a spray bottle or simply put some filled containers open.
You can store turnips in the refrigerator, on the shelf for vegetables. To do this, washed and cut the radish is placed in a plastic bag or plastic container, put a paper towel or napkin on top, tightly closed. 8-10 days, you can safely enjoy succulent root vegetables.
Advice. Radish intensively evaporates internal moisture, condenses, and can rot. To avoid such problems, the blotting paper must be periodically changed to dry.tip
Preparation of turnips
How important preliminary preparation is, everyone knows. You can’t just take a radish, throw it in a heap, and hope it “will”. I will not be able to escape. It will turn into a fetid sticky mass or a bunch of dry roots.
- An indispensable condition: harvest the roots in the morning, preferably as soon as the sun looks out. In the fall, it doesn’t cook like this, so the radish won’t wilt quickly.
- It is recommended to water the garden bed abundantly the night before so that the turnips are saturated with moisture and remain juicy for longer.
- It is best to unscrew the radish tops. Take doubts? Then cut with scissors.
- The roots are untouchable! Absolutely.
It would seem, quite simple recommendations … and the handles are so drawn immediately to cut off the excess with the usual movement. It is worth staying, as it is a reserve for the winter. Surprise relatives are familiar with a fresh radish salad in February – it’s worth refraining from.
Advice. Root vegetables before laying can not be washed. You can clean with a soft cloth or rag. Only without fanaticism, slightly. Or better just to gently shake off the ground.
Radish – unpretentious lady. It does not require special treatments, dancing with tambourines, and other rituals. It is sufficient for a separate shelf or drawer. The pillow will serve wet sand. Not raw! The tight package also fits.
Lay in layers: first sand, then turnips, more sand, and so on. It is desirable to put in a container no more than 5 kg, otherwise, the lower roots can burst from the weight of the upper part. The box or package does not close anything.
Now all that remains is to periodically dive into the cellar to feast on crunchy radishes.
Another way is to use clay. What was a separate shelf mentioned above? For the radishes! Turnips are gently dipped in a clay mash, allowed to drain in excess, and the top layer dries. Then carefully layout on the shelf in two layers.
Advice. For better preservation, plaster is added to the talker. 100 g per 10 kg of clay. Eliminates the penetration of pathogenic bacteria.
If there is no cellar
What to do to city dwellers who don’t have their own basement or cellar? Horseradish in the refrigerator is not long, 4-5 weeks from the strength. Try to freeze? You can’t even try, after defrosting turned out to be meaningless: a lump of rag with a puddle of thawed water.
But there is a way out. Well, who said you can only keep fresh radish? Extraordinary homemade flavors are obtained from it. A marinade is practically the queen of the table! And world-famous radish fries? Nobody forbids making them at home by yourself.
Advice. Before making new blanks or twists for the winter, you need to do a small part first, then try it out. In winter, it will be a shame to spend time, effort, and products if the marinade or salad is not to your liking.
- Instead of sand for storage, you can use sawdust. Slightly moistened, they emit phytoncides and essential substances. Help keep radish longer.
- The vegetables of a turnip come off leaving a tail of 2-3 cm.
- Remove radish for storage should be no earlier than the end of September. Therefore, late-ripening varieties should be planted in early mid-August.
- Before laying it is advisable to follow the weather forecast. If freezing is expected, then we need to hurry. Glazed turnips don’t lie.
- Excluding any mechanical damage to root vegetables. Damaged radishes are carefully discarded.
- To extend the shelf life in the refrigerator up to 6-8 weeks, it is necessary to put the washed radishes in a container with clean boiled water. Every 3-4 days it is changed to a new one. However, this storage method results in a significant loss of minerals and vitamins.
- Regular routine inspection of the radish bookmark helps to avoid many problems. By removing spoiled, wilted, dried, or rotting vegetables in a timely manner, you can help others live through spring.